Saturday, April 19, 2008

Online Databases vs. the Internet

In our library system, as I'm sure many others, there has been great emphasis on using the library's databases. These libraries pay big bucks for these things and I know they want them used so I understand their concern. Currently in our system we're going through database training in order to know all the myriad numbers of databases out there.

My problem in using these databases is that they just take too long. When you have a patron sitting there waiting for information, sometimes with three screaming kids, what they are most concerned about is how quickly you can get it to them, not how many citations the article has or how many times it has been peer reviewed.

The databases take too long because first I must access them through our library's home page. Then I must select out of many dozens of databases which one to search through. Sometimes the answer isn't easy: is what the customer wants a history question or should I be looking for magazines and newspapers? It is difficult to find the right database. Next, after hopefully finding the right database usually I must hone down my search :select full text, use delimiters, narrow it down by type of resource etc. By the time I get to this point the patron is usually tapping their heels. After all this sometimes I don't even end up with something the patron wants. I have to go through page after page of sources.

Perhaps in academic libraries databases are much more beneficial but in public libraries speed is of the essence and for speed you need the Internet. I have found that a patron is happier with a inferior article that I attained in a minute rather than the superior article I attained in five. Isn't pleasing patrons the most important thing anyways?

0 comments: