Saturday, April 5, 2008

Abundance of Angst

I was on our library system's Teen Tech week committee and for Teen Tech week we had a song lyric contest. This week we all met all judged the lyrics from all the entries. Although there were many talented entries, they were almost all heartbreaking tales of woe. Song after song detailed breakups, unrequited love, infidelity and sometimes death. The few songs that spoke of love as a beautiful, happy thing were few and far between. One committee member commented that if she saw the rhyme "heart" and "apart" one more time she was immediately taking points off.

The lyrics of all those sad songs brought me back to my teen days when a breakup truly was the end of the world. I tried to look at it through that perspective as I shuffled through the loneliness of the words. In the end though the best originality and imagery came not through heartbreak but from a thoughtful poem about music. It had perfect scores from all the judges.

0 comments: