Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Child Computer Genius

A young girl came up to the reference desk a few weeks a little girl and asked to put a few items on hold. She couldn't have been older than 8. She was using her mother's library card and I told her that when her books came in the library would send an e-mail to her mother's e-mail address telling her that the books were there. The girl then looked at me very seriously and said "Well I'll have to help her with that, my mother doesn't understand computers." I could not help laughing a bit and after I laughed she looked even more stern. She told me, "It's not funny. It's a real serious problem." The encounter made me wonder how many eight-year-olds are the computer geniuses of their households.

1 comments:

DvntWriter said...

Kids are just great - especially when they are "stern." But I would bet a good portion of kids are the "computer geniuses" of their house-holds. I'm 24 (almost) and these kids are sometimes smarter than me on these contraptions - and I live on mine!