Saturday, April 12, 2008

Just Twenty Minutes

I had a "rain" storytime this week. I was really hoping the weather would work out for me but it snowed instead. Still the kids enjoyed making a thunderstorm with their hands and their feet and making the sun and rainbows come out.

Despite the fun they were having I started losing them at about twenty minutes. That seems to be the cut off point for their attention span. I have more to do but at that point I usually have a third playing with each other or running around. The first part of storytime they are all very attentive and focused on me but twenty minutes seems to be their breaking point. However, I'm sure with continued reading and more storytimes their attention spans will increase. Reading increases children's attention spans. Maybe by the end of the year I can make it to thirty minutes.

0 comments: