Thursday, October 2, 2008

Megaphone Jealously

Today there was a rumour of a fight buzzing around the junior high so half the school decided to congregate on the lawn in front of the library. (Because what better place to have a fight than in front of the public library which is across the street from the Sheriff's office?) So dozens of kids were gathering in groups waiting and waiting for the fight to begin and it was a regular lawn party.

Unfortunately as boring grown ups have to do, the sheriffs came in and broke up the party. They walked in with these megaphones and ordered the kids to either leave or come in the library. The kids immediately listened to the sheriffs and there was no rumble today.

Upon hearing of these megaphones I became jealous. I really need a megaphone at work. I tell kids to leave the library in my normal tone and they reluctantly comply but if I had a large amplified tone behind me I'm sure they would jump to attention. Also, at the end of the day I could get on my megaphone and say "There is five minutes to closing, please gather your items and head to the front desk." I would be sure to get out of work on time everyday if I had that power behind my voice.

Of course some people would say that megaphones shouldn't be allowed in the library; it's supposed to be a quiet place. For those naysayers I would have them try to get a half dozen hyped up 14 year olds to leave without raising their voice.

0 comments: