Thursday, October 16, 2008

Books with Byte

Last week for Teen Read Week a few libraries in our system participated in this "Books with Byte" program. We videotaped teens talking about their favorite books and put it up on YouTube. You can see them at the link here. The ones in front of the bookcase are another library's.

It was a struggle getting most of my teens in front of the videocamera to talk about books. I bribed them all with candy and incentives such as waivers. Still, "talking about books?" one asked me and made a face. Perhaps if we talked about movies, boys, or internet there would be more interest. One was more interested in talking about skateboarding and I had to prompt him to list a few books. A few girls got the giggles and could barely keep it under control in front of the camera. One insisted that the reason that she liked Twilight was because "Edward was hot," which I guess is a valid point.

The other library down in a "better" neighborhood had some nice sedate teens who talked fluently and longer. I couldn't help but notice the contrast. But I guess the point is not that my teens talked longer or well it's that they talked at all.

0 comments: