Friday, December 12, 2008

Forever Young

This week we had the teens make Christmas cards for the local senior center. Many of the teens were enthusiastic about making the cards, creating almost 40 cards for the seniors. However, one teen flatly refused to make a card for the seniors. He told me that he did not like seniors and thought they were creepy. I reminded him that one day he was going to be old and wrinkly and that probably one day some punk kid like himself was going to give him a hard time. This teen replied that he was never going to be old. Well, if you're not going to be old, then the alternative isn't that great.

Teens seem to think that they're going to stay young forever. The senior citizen years seem eons away. Yet constantly my fifty three year old mother tells me she remembers when she was my age "just like it was yesterday." So although those teens think that old age is forever away, the years will go quickly.

I have to add that my favorite card the teens made for the seniors was a happily decorated one that read: "Merry Christmas Elderly People." It was made in all seriousness but it gave me such a laugh.

0 comments: