Friday, July 4, 2008

Talking, Dancing, Clothed Animals

I am going through all my picture books one by one and I have noticed that roughly one half or more has either a talking animal or an animal dressed up in human clothes. There are every type of creatures imaginable in these books from aphids (Anna Aphid by Christine Goppel) to wombats (Diary of a Wombat by Jackie French). To tell the truth I'm not exactly sure what a wombat is and I don't think a five year old would know.

My coworker and I were talking as I was weeding through these books one by one. I mentioned how adults how ascribe emotions to animals. They think their pet hamster feels sad when they go or their bunny feels such complex emotions as jealously. Not only do adults think their pets feel this way but they dress up their pets in costumes. Does this have something to do with the massive amounts of picture books with talking, dancing, clothed animals? From day one children are taught in books that animals talk, feel, and have families and lives just like they do. Does this belief continue in some way into adulthood?

1 comments:

DvntWriter said...

Interesting post!

Perhaps it does carry over from childhood socialization, but I'm thinking that it also has something to do with the fact that we love these creatures. They bring us joy and comfort, don't judge us (although cats can be a little judgmental), and love us unconditionally.

I think it is only natural that out of our love for these creatures, we have a desire to share and communicate with them—thus we ascribe them human emotions, thought processes, desires, and motivations.

Think about it, how many people call their pets their baby (I know I do). They are pets, but we call them our children, and care for them sometimes better than we care for ourselves.

But all things need a beginning, and children's books are a good a place as any to blame this anthropomorphizing of animals.

As I said, interesting post! :-)