Thursday, June 19, 2008

Is the Internet Making Us Stupid?

I read an article recently that forewarned that the proliferation of media such as the Internet has changed our reading capacity, thus our thinking capacity. Is Google Making Us Stupid?

The author of this article describes the change in his reading processes from reading deeply to only skimming materials. He writes:

When I mention my troubles with reading to friends and acquaintances—literary types, most of them—many say they’re having similar experiences. The more they use the Web, the more they have to fight to stay focused on long pieces of writing. Some of the bloggers I follow have also begun mentioning the phenomenon. Scott Karp who writes a blog about media recently confessed that he has stopped reading books altogether. “I was a lit major in college, and used to be [a] voracious book reader,” he wrote. “What happened?” He speculates on the answer: “What if I do all my reading on the web not so much because the way I read has changed, i.e. I’m just seeking convenience, but because the way I THINK has changed?”

I can see this in my library sometimes. I have patrons that specifically request the short reads and I had one balk when I suggested a book of over three hundred pages. I think one reason that graphic novels are so popular with teens is that the way teens think is differently. They think in short, visual bursts, not in long methodical passages. What does this mean for libraries in the future? I can't say exactly, I think that libraries will have to continue to adapt and change for anything, even if people's way of reading dramatically shifts.

3 comments:

J.E. Remy said...

Speaking of small reading capacities... Would you like to try your hand at a six-word memoir?

http://diewachen.com/2008/06/six-word-memoir.html

outlawpoet said...

Heh. I admit that I'm only here because I was tagged with a meme, but I have to disagree with your thesis here pretty strongly. I'm on my laptop, so I haven't the references, but I do know that there has been some research on this subject that found no precipitous drop in focusing ability.

Besides, one wouldn't expect to see such a generic shift, particularly given that JK Rowling and Neal Stephenson seem to be getting more popular the huger and more ridiculous the books they write become.

Heck, one of the most popular books in recent years was Susannah Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel, a book which had FOOTNOTES.

Carrie said...

I see evidence of smaller reading capacities mainly in the younger generation here in my library. As I mentioned graphic novels are hugely popular and continuing to grow. Very quick, short paperback series are extremely popular too.

I believe that can be blamed on the media. If you've ever watched any children's television show it is condensed in short micro bursts. They often cut a 22 minute program in half and present two shows in one. And everything comes at you really fast. How can a younger person learn to concentrate on longer reading material when at age two they have been in front of media that only made them focus for five minutes at a time?

By the way, I read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel and it bored me to tears. I guess I am also a product of our fast-paced culture.