Saturday, March 29, 2008

Introducing He-man!


Our library has a pair of pet gerbils. After a very popular "gerbil-naming contest" our patrons named them "Zap" and "Zoom." (We had over 400 patrons participate in this contest.) I love these little gerbils as much as our patrons do and after seeing them day in and day out I wanted a little pet of my own.


While driving around to pet stores one day I found a store that sold hedgehogs. I had never seen a hedgie before and I was blown away by how adorable they were.
Ever the librarian, I had to do some research first. Turns out, hedgehogs make great pets. They do not smell, they are quiet, and they are inexpensive to take care of. So my husband and I adopted little "He-man" into our family.

We are hand-taming him right now because he is a little timid. When He-man is more comfortable around people I will be sure to bring him to work. The kids would just love him at storytime.







2 comments:

DvntWriter said...

He is so adorable! I've had hamster and guinea pigs - but never thought about a hedgehog. Odd question for you, but are they intelligent creatures? My guinea pigs were seriously cute - but dumb as logs lol.

Carrie said...

Hedgehogs are cute but are not too bright. But you can potty train them. We have him going to the bathroom in one spot now. But he hasn't figure out his wheel or how to play with his toys.