Sunday, August 22, 2010

I had a school group come in last week and I read them this book: Furious George goes Bananas by Michael Rex. It's a parody of Curious George where the "man in the hat" tortures George and makes him do all sorts of things for money. At the end of the book George throws the man into a space shuttle, jumps on the back of it and then as it blasts into space the ape parachutes down gently into the jungle. When I completed the book, one six year old girl earnestly said: "I don't think that parachute is big enough for George."

When she said that I thought to myself: So George building a skyscraper, performing on Broadway, outwitting the man in the hat and blasting off into space on the back of a shuttle didn't bother you...but the parachute..that was what did it. Sometimes the things kids say...

0 comments: