Wednesday, December 16, 2009

People-Eating Book


I had a group of elementary school students come into the library this week for a booktalk and a little craft. Among the books I introduced was The Book that Eats People by Mark Fearing. It's a very cute book that (as the title says) that eats a variety of students and adults. The book warms that you shouldn't handle it with "syrupy fingers" or it might get you too. I played up the book, dramatizing the scariness of the book. After I was through booktalking my selection a little girl timidly raised her hand. She said, in complete seriousness, "Does that book REALLY eat people?" I had to try not to laugh because this child was genuinely scared of the book sitting innocently on the table. I explained that "no, the book does not really eat people." She seemed somewhat consoled. I reminded myself that maybe next time I should play it down a bit.

0 comments: