Thursday, September 4, 2008

Age is just a (Big) Number

Teens seem to have no conception of people's age. Two incidents this week have confirmed this in my mind.

First, I had one teen, a regular, ask me: Do you have a kid that my friend can date? I am 25 and I know I look 25. I asked the teen "how old do you think I am?" He went..."uh..." and stared at me with confusion. I told him, "I'm 25; do the math." (And by the way if I had a child there was no way I would let this kid knock at my door.)

Also, this week my coworker kicked out two giggly and overexcited middle school girls. They were not pleased to be booted out and on their way to the exit one shouted, "Grandma!" My coworker is not a grandma and does not even look like a grandma.

It appears that teens think that anyone over the age of adulthood has arthritis and are carting around their grand kids. No wonder they think we're horribly uncool: they think we all lived during the 50s.

0 comments: